Have you ever heard of the science of geology? Aren't sure what a geologist is?
Think about these questions for a moment:
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then YOU are a geologist at heart!
- Have you ever climbed a sand dune and wondered how the ripples all over the surface got there?
- Have you ever seen a volcano erupting and wondered what made it explode?
- If you ever felt the ground shake, would you want to know what caused it?
- Have you ever considered why the Earth's continents look a lot like puzzle pieces that just might fit together?
- Have you ever picked up a pebble in a stream and wondered how it got so smooth?
- Did you ever wonder what formed the Grand Canyon?
- Have you ever stopped and stared at something in nature, big or small, and wanted to know more about it?
A geologist is a scientist that studies:
To learn more about the science of geology, click here. What do you suppose the geologist in the picture above is studying? In this WebQuest, you will have the opportunity to see what it's like to be a geologist. You will discover some of the Earth's landforms and water features and learn about how they may change. Along the way, you'll get to solve a fun challenge too!
- solid and fluid features of Earth (land and water),
- materials and structures that make up the Earth (ingredients, shapes, and appearances),
- natural processes that act upon those materials (what causes changes),
- organisms that exist on Earth (living things that rely on land and water), and
- how these things change over time.
Our planet Earth is pretty amazing and worth a closer look! But don't just take my word for it. Watch the video below and see if you get inspired for a little geology!
When you're ready to learn more about your challenge, click here.
A Little Tip for Getting Around this Website:
It's pretty easy!
When you see "Click here," just click on the words and you'll go to the next screen.
If it opens up a new tab (webpage), you can go back by just clicking on the "X" in the top right corner.
If you need to go back to the previous page, just click on the green back arrow.
You can also use the navigation bar at the top of the screen.